Wednesday, October 24, 2012

The Artist's Lair

I know artists and crafters and I am always surprised at their work spaces. Well, that is the name but the reality is often quite different. In fact, despite all the books that show you a famous artists or quilter or crafters working space, and I have a dear friend who has a room like that, the reality is anything but.  As an example, here is my nook in the den where all of my crafts are painted. We can all agree it is NOT pretty but it does have just about everything I need pretty much in easy reach. Paints are behind me and those I am using are left on the work table. Brushes are there in a rotating caddy along with a variety of files, clamps, glues, trays and palates to mix and use my paints. I use fingernail paints for details and wooden chopsticks to get the right sized dots!

I have shelves for idea books, art books and folders where I keep ideas already tried. I haven't been very good yet about keeping printed photos of my projects though the computer does have pretty good digital files that are backed up on another hard drive just in case. The amount of books have been reduced as well. If I haven't looked at it or used in for a few years, it probably wasn't needed. I parted with about 10 years of "American Artist" when I realized they were taking space on my shelves and after a year or two tended to repeat themselves. New artist and photos, same theme.

Also, I looked at those paintings and knew, at least at that time, I would never be that good. I didn't go to art school, train in Europe or wherever, and most likely would never try.

Fortunately, that wasn't what happened. Kicking and screaming, years of frustration finally led to a few breakthroughs and finally I was able to do what I saw in minds eye. Don't give up. As Malcolm Gladwell said in his book THE OUTLIERS, anyone can do anything and do it well if they are willing to put 10,000 hours into it. I don't know about you, but I have a few more hours to go!

Be sure to check out my Etsy store: krugsstudio.etsy.com. Hard as it may seem, I might even inspire you.

No comments:

Post a Comment