Wednesday, April 18, 2012

2013 Painting Convention

I have been going to the Las Vegas Creative Painting Convention since 2009. I missed 2010 because we had just come back from a trip to Egypt and funds were a bit short.

The classes I took this year were outstanding as I had concentrated on oil painting classes and not my usual craft classes. I had classes from about 6 different teachers and while they may have all had a different perspective on how they painted, they all had much to teach me.

However, I also realized that I could probably teach as well. If I narrowed my focus to something simple yet dramatic, that could be finished in 4 hours, the most popular time slot, I might have a chance.

I started a series of flowers...first mostly white, then a red camellia and finally a wildly colored bird of paradise with a solid black background. At the urging of my teacher, Diane Trierweiler and a close friend, and some soul searching I decided to step out of my box and submit two paintings to be taught. One was acrylic and oil of a white lily (left), the other all acrylic (right).


I can't even begin to describe my surprise when opening the mail after a week's spring break vacation I discovered that both classes were accepted. I even have the dates and time. Of course being accepted doesn't mean a done deal yet. I have to achieve a minimum number of class signups before the classes to be are taught. Both classes will cost $42 each. The class schedule will be posted in June at www.vegaspaint.com.

By the way, the CREATIVE PAINTING CONVENTION will be from Sunday, Feb. 24 to Friday, March 1, 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment