Friday, June 22, 2018

Let's Hear It For The Red, White & Blue

How different they can be even if the main colors are the same!!!


After an orgy of Halloween items, 22 in fact, I needed a pause, a change. I wasn't really ready for the Green and Red of Christmas just yet so on a foray to Michael's to buy some small square blocks to use for feet on my birdhouses, I was greeted with THE FOURTH OF JULY! Everywhere the store was decorated and I realized that the two items I had done to pay homage to this holiday were, in fact, sold.
     Coming home I looked at the collection of small, unfinished, mini-birdhouses I had and picked three that I liked. I considered it a challenge to use the basic three colors, come up with different designs using the colors - designs that would go well with each one.
     And, here they are. Very, very different but in keeping with at least the colors of the holiday. Not sure if Betsy Ross liked the colors, the British surely did with their red, white and blue Union Jack. They are striking colors that stand out at any time of the year!
     I added feet to the round one and used golden stars for contrast that honor the stars and stripes. Several red lines wind around the piece in wavy lines. Golden stars added to the roof add emphasis to three stars on the front and back and one each on the sides.
     The star theme was easy to adapt to the middle birdhouse. It already had a metal star and metal roof on it's bare wood frame. Again, I added feet so it can stand or be hung. The silver wire hanger looks good hung or standing on a table top. The challenge was how to decorate the body already scored with horizontal lines. I alternated red and white on top and put a red and blue checkerboard motif below. A little silver glitter and silver feet complete the balance of colors.
     The last birdhouse retained the red, white and blue but hearts, one of my favorite "signatures" replace stars for the third birdhouse. The same colors were used but with a different emphasis of red and white curved lines with a blue roof and base. The jewel in the curve of each bottom red line on all four sides adds a bit of sparkle to the piece.
     As I have said many times before, we may all start with the same surface but oh how differently we make them turn out. I wanted to show here just how different they may begin but in using the same basic colors how they become siblings when shown together.
     This is a wonderful challenge. I urge you to do the same! Find two or three blanks ... be it canvas, a birdhouse or even a wooden box and in using the same colors come up with three different designs. You might be surprised at just how good they will turn out.
     These items and many more are available on my ETSY.com store. Check out:

KrugsStudio.etsy.com

Thank you for reading my blog. I invite you to take the time to read earlier blogs where my emphasis is to explore the ways art and design affects our daily lives ... and always has. I share with you what inspires me with the hope that it will inspire you as well. Comments are always welcomed! 

Be sure to check my ETSY store ... KrugsStudio.etsy.com. I am adding many new and exciting, collectible birdhouses and craft items. Many of the items talked about here will be for sale there!

No comments:

Post a Comment