Saturday, July 6, 2019

Why Seniors Or Anyone Else Don't Count Anymore

In a trip to China last year by friend came back from paying our dinner bill and said, after being gone a very long time, "I don't know how seniors can pay for things anymore. I just spent all this time trying to pay and I 'thought' I knew what I was doing."
     I just got off the phone with Capital One trying to redeem milage points for a ticket I purchased on the 4th of July while the earth was rolling under me (here in Southern California) again speaking to Capital One. They said that the points towards my ticket payment would be available in 48 hours. Dutifully I called them 48 hours later, today, and was told that it wouldn't be posted until midnight tonight, another 12+ hours; so closer to 72 hours. If I called at 12:01 am I can battle their robot again and get credit for my ticket.
    To be fair, she said that I could go online and do it there, again after 12:01, but from my last experience that was an invitation to again play Sisyphus rolling rocks up hills and them rolling back down. You know the drill. After 15 screens you give up, what they wanted in the first place.
      You have to wonder what companies are considering when it comes to customer service. The mantra of "Your call is so important to us. We are experiencing higher than normal call volume but you are important." There are two options, 1. leave a number that they will never call back or 2. stay on the line where your wait time is at least 45 minutes. I feel that each one designs the experience to benefit them and remove themselves as far away from giving any service while eagerly taking your money. It doesn't matter anymore what you do either. There is a kind of "stonewall" separating you from speaking to any living person. How many web sites have you searched for a phone number to actually talk to someone? I'll bet plenty.
     Apple isn't bad and they usually return calls in a matter of minutes and actually try to help you when things go south. It is a rare experience today though. That's probably why I tend to stay with the same services, providers and companies that provide good "enough" service. Believe it or not, my time is worth money too!
     However, that may change. I was reading about all the changes Apple is making to their computer operating system and how the iPhone and iPad and possibly the Watch will all have their own operating systems. One of the reasons I bought the very first iPhone, but have become increasingly disenchanted with them, is that what was once elegant and simple for even a senior to use has become cumbersome and awkward. Functions come and go, designs have come and gone. The current phones resemble the feeling and fit of the very first phone. Design is important as Ive's and others have learned. Pretty isn't always functional especially if you hold the phone in your hands a lot each day.
     As I read today about the seriously ugly new Chevy trucks, each face even uglier than the last, the moaning over the new 2019 iPhones with an ugly bulge for its cameras so you should wait anyway for the 2020 5G version, you have to wonder, why? Why create things, operations, promotions that you already know are stinkers? If you have a promotion about "What's in your wallet," make the wallet work for me rather than what's easier for you? 48 hours is maybe reasonable but you know the transaction is recorded instantly, this IS the 21st century, not the 19th. Why make me wait? She could see the transaction but I can't get any help until 12:01 am, Sunday, July 7th.
     I don't know, maybe the next time around I WILL see what's in my wallet and it may not be Capital One!
   
Thank you for reading my blog. I invite you to take the time to read earlier blogs where my emphasis is to explore the ways art and design affects our daily lives ... and always has. I share with you what inspires me with the hope that it will inspire you as well. Comments are always welcomed! 


Be sure to check my ETSY store ... KrugsStudio.etsy.com. I am adding many new and exciting, collectible birdhouses and craft items. Many of the items talked about here will be for sale there!

No comments:

Post a Comment