Wednesday, April 15, 2020

Dogs Don't Practice Social Distancing!

     As we Californians practice "social distancing" now for the third week, starting our fourth week
Miss Maggie - the dog that knows no boundaries
tomorrow, it dawned on me yesterday, after stumbling over my dog, yet again, that dogs DON'T practice social distancing. I became aware of that fact after leaving my condo to go to the bank, shop for food and get medicines at the pharmacy. I completed these four tasks in about two hours. It was my first time out to even do these minimal (allowable) chores in 10 days. Even if I didn't see anyone I knew, it was wonderful to just be where humans were masked and six feet away as they all were.
The morning walk ritual that is done
visitors here or not!
  Having a dog you must go outside, in my case, four or five times a day. We have our long walk first thing in the morning, usually before the sun is up, then there are the WPP's (walk, pee and poop) around our condo complex starting around 5 am, then another around 11-12:00, then 4:00 or so to get the mail, and the finally one around 9:00 pm. I don't have to worry about forgetting, a cold nose on an elbow reminds me, just like when it's time for dinner. I may forget, she never does.

     Usually, we don't see anyone in the complex though there are many dog owners here. If we do she heads straight to the owner to be petted. In fact I think she thinks she's a human. I stopped taking her to the dog park to play with the dogs. I realized she ignored her "kind" instead making the rounds of the humans sitting watching their dogs. Being owners they would give her a few pets and she would give them a lick or two, then move to the next one. So much for playing with the dogs.
Meditating in place!
      In fact, shelter in place has meant for her that her master (though I really am not sure who the boss is here) is now always around. She brings her duck to play tug-of-war, licks some part of me to be petted and is ever watchful of dinner time. We have never had so much "together" time before. During a "normal" week I would leave for meetings, dinners, game night and sometimes be gone for hours as she laid out on the patio or dug through the trash inside our condo.
     I now have a constant companion. I go to the kitchen and when I turn around she lays in front of the way out. Read or watch TV in the living room, a black lump is alongside my chair. There is even no privacy in the bathroom. At least she's not as bad as my last Lab. He would follow me into the tiny inner bathroom, close the door and lay in front of it. At 100 pounds, he was an obstacle in getting out.
     Seriously though, in these times where so many of us are living alone, there isn't a better companion. I have come to realize you hunger for contact and no matter how often you Skype, of ZOOM or FaceTime they are not substitutes for a human hug, or chatter, just BEING with another living being. A dog loves to be petted, trots behind me wherever I go ... kitchen, living room, patio, bedroom or the studio. I have learned these past few weeks to stand and look around to see where she is, actually how close she is and is it safe to walk?
Visiting the Grand Canyon with Maggie
    I don't think we could have designed a better companion. Somehow, a robot just doesn't seem to be a solution, a cold metal and plastic object that even if it talks is, well, not human, not something you would want to pet.
     When my partner was here from China, we drove to see my sister in New Mexico with a stop at the Grand Canyon. To her, a car ride is a car ride just as long as she is with me. I find her sprawled out in the back seat like some teenager. I have to urge her out to pee. I need to go now more than her. My sister has three dogs and mine fits right in with dogs sprawled all over the place.
     In fact as we were gazing out at the majestic canyon a man asked about my dog and asked if he could pet her. It turned out he had just lost his dog who looked exactly like Maggie and we were both stunned to find out they both had the same name! His dog had aged and turned grey just like Maggie. He petted her awhile and finally moved on. Maggie watched him go tail slowly wagging like she understood.
     My daughter wrote to see how I was doing and to ask if Maggie was talking back to me yet. I had a good laugh but noticed her looking at me with a grin. How could she know?

After nearly 14 years, my Maggie had to be put to sleep. After returning home from a doctor's appointment she met me at the door and followed me around as usual. In the bathroom I could hear a knocking and when I looked out the door found her in convulsions on the floor. With the help of friends we took her to the vet. It had gone on so long there was fear she had brain damage and I felt that I had to let her go. In the few weeks since I still look for her and even call her when I come in the door. She truly was "man's best friend!"

Thank you for reading my blog. I invite you to take the time to read earlier blogs where my emphasis is to explore the ways art and design affects our daily lives ... and always has. I share with you what inspires me with the hope that it will inspire you as well. Comments are always welcomed! 

Be sure to check my ETSY store ... KrugsStudio.etsy.com. I am adding many new and exciting, collectible birdhouses and craft items. Many of the items talked about here will be for sale there!

1 comment: