Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Changing The Look Is SO Easy

One of the things every artist wants is to find the thing that separates them from the herd. Well, its true! If you are an artist you know exactly what I mean. More important, if you are a buyer you don't want what everyone else has. Artists need to understand that as well.

I have made a habit, if time allows, to just wander through Michael's or any craft store to see what else they might have that I can use. I have discovered what fun it is to add things to the standard blank birdhouse so have become more willing to "innovate." It was my LAST CHANCE series with the small resin cow skulls that taught me that lesson. Boring became pretty exciting with the addition of just one three dimensional skull!

On one of my grazing tours I found some interesting blocks of wood in various sizes. Feet! They might make interesting feet!  Taking several different sized bags with me over to the birdhouses, I decided what size block seemed appropriate and bought a bag. And there it sat!
To feet or not to feet, THAT is the question!

Since all but the newest CRAZY QUILT birdhouses are now sold, I decided it was time to shake things up a bit. They probably are being used as decorative items so hunting down the long missing bag, I glued feet on one of my favorite birdhouse designs (large blank areas to decorate and add things if need be) and was very surprised at the difference it made! Its almost like they are two very different designs, don't you think?

I am in the process of painting a new one and find that by painting the feet along with the rest, if gives a totally new look to a decorative birdhouse.

Isn't that what we want? To be different? Just by adding something, or if possible, taking something away, you make a statement, one that separates you from the rest.

In the same vein, when we were down in San Diego last weekend we went to a annual fair in one of the beach cities and I was struck by an Asian artist who also decided to paint outside of the box. He took canvas board, cut it in the shape of flowers and glued that to the canvas. Often the shapes were outside the canvas giving dimension and interest to his work. Even more daring, his very abstract pieces included layers of canvases behind a large central canvas. His work was engaging and well done and as far as I know, no one else was doing it exactly in the same way.

From the recent birdhouses I have seen on Etsy, I am not alone in making this decision. How you do it and what you use is for you to decide. Be adventurous - give it a try. Take the ordinary and make it extraordinary!

No comments:

Post a Comment