Thursday, June 5, 2014

Moments Of Whimsy

Purple Passion Birdhouse
Every now and then, I take a kind of leave of my normal artistic sense and play. Of course not every "played" item is worth keeping and either I throw it away but since most of my products are wood all I need to do is put another coat of acrylic paint. There is yet again a new blank surface.

My PURPLE PASSION BIRDHOUSE is a case in point. I was experimenting with how to fade paint on wood. Its not really all that different than a canvas though, as I quickly discovered, wood accepts colors differently than either watercolor paper or a canvas. In fact, wood is very unpredictable. Anyway, I went on with whatever I was working on and there on my desk sat my experiment or what I had done with it.

As an aside, whenever I visit a craft store, limited to mostly Michaels, or if I've made the trek to Hobby Lobby or sometimes go to JoAnn's with my wife, I look at all the bargains. You just never know what you might find. If it remotely might be used and its cheap, cheap, cheap I will give it a chance. That's how that glittering bird got pasted on this birdhouse. I figured since its a small birdhouse, no bird would ever use it so why not put a bird on the perch?

As I was looking through my boxes of goodies one day, I happened upon the glittery birds. Looking at the unfinished birdhouse I realized I had the perfect color "birdie" and picking up the birdhouse, sketched some Pennsylvania Dutch motifs and painted away.

It was sold today and of course a flood of memories, those talked about above, came to mind. Despite what we may think, anything you create has a intimate relationship with you. Just as a composer or writer or any other kind of creator, what we create is deep down a part of ourselves. Just as we may not always like what we create, I have been surprised many times to find that others actually do. If you created it, put it out there. If we all liked the same things the world would be a boring place. Keep that in mind when something doesn't go the way you wanted you put your heart and soul in it and still, run with it!

Please visit KrugsStudio.etsy.com for hand painted crafts and photos, and AlanKrugFineArt.etsy.com for fine art oil and acrylic paintings.


No comments:

Post a Comment