Monday, November 19, 2012

2013 Las Vegas Painting Convention

For the artists and crafters in all of us, one of the joys of "creating" is the learning of new techniques, painting styles and trying new ideas and products. In fact, after my first convention in 2009 my personal artistic style started to change, only I didn't realize it though my teacher at the time did.

This Feb. 24th through March 1, 2013 is the Las Vegas Creative Painting Convention held at the Tropicana Hotel.

The convention offers a variety of classes in acrylics, oils, watercolors, theory and mixed media. Choose from over 150 regular classes plus extended classes on both weekends. A world class selection of teachers, many very famous both in the United States and internationally, will be there to teach you. You are guaranteed to not only start a project but leave each class with a finished product. In fact, I was selected to teach two classes as well - florals; one of a magnolia in oil paints, and a magnificent "Bird of Paradise" in acrylics. Since this a new retirement venue for me, I urge you to check my classes and all of the others at: www.vegaspaint.com.

At this years convention (I wrote about it earlier this year) I was heavy into oil painting classes. Each teacher had a different technique, style, way to approach their work. In a short time I found that oddly, each one had also influenced me in ways I hadn't expected. That is good. They helped me focus on what was important in the painting, then work your way to the front and when there, make sure the front was worth looking at.

Lately I started using this technique with acrylic paints. Nothing fancy or expensive, just simple DecoArt paints, the kind you find in a myriad of colors in small plastic bottles. You buy them at Michaels, Hobby Lobby and the like. I realized that the years of craft painting hadn't gone wasted and that by continuing to learn about acrylics I could use many of the same techniques.

Check out the convention web site. If you have any interest at all, you might find classes that you will not only like, but help you move a few more steps forward in your craft. Many classes are still open and you can sign up online.

If you want to see more of my own art and crafts, check out krugstudio.etsy.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment