Monday, December 3, 2012

Necessity, The Mother of Invention

This year, I decided, what the heck, I will give gifts of my crafts, gifts were especially created "for" the intended person. Why wait till the last minute, look at things you've already done and blindly grab. I'm afraid that many of us are guilty of that. I had already completed items for my daughter and son, now it was time for friends. I should qualify that by saying friends that actually appreciate the gift!

As a deal scrounger at craft stores, Michael's being the only one near me, I will usually buy more than one item. If it has potential at least three and sometimes more for smaller items. However, some items once they are home and sitting around prove to be harder to work with than others. Ever been there? I don't know a creative type who hasn't so if you NEVER have creative block I need to hear from you.

I have had these sleighs for years now. I don't even remember when I got them. They leaned against the wall on my four high metal bookshelf in my craft area "creatively" hidden behind others things. Trying to find where I had put something else to create that special Christmas gift, I saw those sleighs again.

Suddenly It dawned on me, the giftee loved snowmen and I could run a few from top to bottom. I sketched out a few ideas and actually settled on two. Lining up three snowmen seemed to allow me to create a kind of three graces, vertically. What would they be doing? I roughly sketched them in place and finally decided maybe they could be, what, singing? So, I created singing angel snowmen complete with gossamer wings and songbooks. After that, it went much faster. I decorated a few wooden snowflakes and artfully placed them on the sleigh as well. The runners of the sleigh are painted with a purple and gold checkerboard pattern and the whole thing has been "aged" to age all the elements together. All it needs now is the raffia tie at the top. It can be hung on a wall or placed on the tabletop.

Craft surfaces, like a blank canvas, are really just 3D surfaces that beg to be decorated. Here is an example of the blank sleigh, and one that is painted. I am always surprised when something like this is created.

Oh, and the other sleigh? It will be a horizontal scene of snowmen gamboling across a frozen landscape. It has been sketched in but I have been sidetracked by yet another set of gifts of which the blank box cost $1 and I will probably spend in time and additional items another $10 each if not more!

Need some gifts? There's still time. And, as a matter of fact, there are some pretty good deals left at Michael's. There are so many ideas out there, get to work!

Be sure to check out my store at KrugsStudio.etsy.com .


No comments:

Post a Comment